Adullam Orphanage is a place I’ve been to every time I’ve traveled to Ghana. It is very near and dear to my heart. At one time they had 265 children, but we only found 109 there this time.
When we arrived, most of the children were gone to school, which was a new development. Until a couple of years ago, all of the children were taught school at the orphanage by certified teachers. Since Maama Louise’s illness, they’ve had to go to public school. It allows them to get outside of the orphanage and interact with other children, so it isn’t a bad thing, just different.
When we arrived, the GGs were surrounded by children. They did what they do best….spread the love and joy of Jesus to everyone they encountered. Pastor James and Peter, the manager of the orphanage, showed me around. Things have really declined. Pastor James took me into the food pantry so I could inventory what they had and what they needed. Afterwards, Eddie and I went to the bank to withdraw money to purchase food for the orphanage and to pay salaries for the workers. Thanks to a couple of donors, we had the funds to do this. We picked up two of Eddie’s friends we had hired to do some repair work to the windows of the toddler room and bought their supplies for the project. When we returned, we brought all of the tubs filled with balls, jump ropes, and sidewalk chalk. It was just in time. The GGs were looking overwhelmed and it helped them to have toys for the children.
I went into Peter’s office to set up for payroll. We felt it was important to encourage each of the workers. We learned they had not been paid in 11 months and we were only giving them 2 months worth of salary. They had to present their ID cards and sign for their money. Two of the GGs would come into the room and pray while I met with the workers one on one. As God gave them a picture, they would paint it and give it to the worker at the end of our meeting sharing the message God had given them. The workers seemed as excited about the pictures and the prayers as they were about their money.
I asked the workers why they stayed when they weren’t getting a salary. Each one replied because God called them or because of the children. These men and women are truly the hands and feet of God to the orphans of Ghana. I was so moved by their dedication and love.
After all of the salaries were paid out, we went back to the house for lunch. We were all drained by the desperation we witnessed. Lunch was sandwiches and apples and then we piled into the van and went to the market to buy the food for the orphanage. It was hard work. Stella Otsin and Eddie negotiated for the best price for each item as if their life depended on it. It opened our eyes to see what the Ghanaian men and women have to go through to simply purchase food. There isn’t a Kroger or Publix in Ghana.
With a van full of food we headed back to the orphanage. The children were so excited. They wanted their picture taken beside the food. We unloaded and told them we’d see them after dinner.
We made a brief run downtown to purchase some Ghanaian fabric and rice bags for packing. We knew when we packed for Cape Coast, we were really packing for our flight home.
Dinner was pizza and it was wonderful. Who knew they would know how to make pizza in Ghana. Pastor James had asked me to preach at the 6:30 p.m. service, so we ate quickly and loaded back into the van for Adullam.
Eddie set up the projector and sound system he uses for crusades. He started playing worship DVDs and projected the music video on the screen. The children and workers loved it. Eddie was like a DJ for Jesus. He would pray in between songs and encourage the children to do the same. He was in his element. He is a true evangelist.
The message came from the depths of my heart. I had nothing written down or prepared. The Holy Spirit came and moved in power. We talked about Joshua, but it wasn’t the same message as the one we shared at the other orphanages. We ended by praying for Maama Louise’s healing and at the end, the children blew their horns as a cry to heaven to break the spirit of infirmity off of her. It was one of the most powerful things I’ve experienced this trip. We prayed a blessing over the children and then we were blessed by having some of the children come and pray over us. The passion and faith they bring to the Father in prayer humbled each of us. Afterwards we danced in celebration before heading to the mission house for yet another night of packing.
We knew we would only come by for a brief goodbye tomorrow.
We crawled into bed knowing we had completed the tasks God had called us to Ghana to do. Tomorrow is Cape Coast for a little rest and relaxation before heading home.