Have you seen someone with a red “X” on their hand today? It is a symbol of being part of the End It Movement, which is an anti-trafficking movement that was birthed by Louie Giglio at the Passion Conference in January of 2013.
Today is the End It Movement’s Shine a Light on Slavery Day. To be a part of this campaign, you:
- Draw a RED “X” on your hand.
- Take a selfie showing your RED “X”.
- Post your picture with #EndItMovement
- If you have a website, donate your page to shine a light on slavery.
- Build a team of freedom fighters.
- Donate to the cause.
It is going to take everyone doing something to eradicate our world of this evil.
Let’s face it, the problem is bigger than any one person can get their mind wrapped around and it’s only growing. We’ve been called long before End It Movement to release captives from bondage.
Isaiah 61:1 says,
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.”
These words were spoken by the Lord in Luke 4:18. The Lord then goes on in John 14;12 Jesus says we will do what He did and even greater things. That being said, it seems fairly obvious to me that we are called to fulfill Isaiah 61:1 also.
So what are you doing about modern day slavery?
Drawing a red “X” on your hand is all well and good, but what are you doing the other 364 days of the year. How are you making a difference?
Here are some simple steps anyone can do from anywhere:
- PRAY: Pray for the victims to be located, rescued, restored and empowered. Pray for the perpetrators (the buyers and sellers) to be located, apprehended, and to serve their time for their crime, but don’t stop there. They also need to be rescued, restored and empowered. Hurt people hurt people. There has to be a root cause for these buyers and sellers to do what they do. We can’t just be about releasing those being sold from their captivity. Jesus is for all parties involved.
- COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS: This needs to be done on the local, state, and national level. Let those in office know what you expect them to do while in office. We need tougher laws. Purchasing a human being needs to carry as stiff, if not stiffer, penalty as purchasing hard core drugs. There needs to be some type of assistance for victims when trying to put their lives back together. If arrested for prostitution, their records need to be wiped clean so this victimization doesn’t follow them all of their life.
- RAISE AWARENESS: Host an event at your home, church, community center or business to educate people on the issue of human trafficking. Bring in speakers, have a book club reading a book about it. [Shameless plug: you can read Rescuing Hope and then the author will Skype with your group.]
- RAISE FUNDS: Almost every front line organization is under staffed and under funded. Be creative with your fundraisers and make a difference. Choose your favorite front line organization to support. There are hundreds of organizations out there. If you don’t know of any, look here.
- VOLUNTEER: As I said, almost every front line organization has a list of things volunteers can do a mile long. Choose one and plug in. You’ll walk away blessed by it. You can never out give God. For a starting point, check out these organizations here.
- LOVE YOUR CHILDREN WELL: Children who feel love, safe and secure are less likely to fall prey to the ploys of a trafficker. It isn’t a 100% guarantee against becoming a victim, but it is a step in the right direction.
- SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING: Program the National Hotline Number into your cell phone, 1-888-373-7888. If you see something suspicious, call and report it. If you’re not sure, call and talk with them about it. They are trained in this field. They speak 170 different languages and can assist you. By raising your voice, you may be the one that launches someone’s rescue. If you can’t talk when you see something happening, you can always text your information to BeFREE .
Just like Uncle Sam, WE NEED YOU!!! You are critical to the fight. You matter. Get involved. Do something.
Leave A Comment